Andrew has made significant contributions to the Society over an extended period of time, including being a founding Director of the Australian Coal Preparation Society. He has been involved with every Australian Coal Preparation Conference to date, often on the Technical or local organising committee. His activities encompass the
- 8 years on the Committee – 1988-89 until 1995-96
- 3 years as Chairman – 1991-92 to 1993-94
- 2 years as Secretary – 1994-95 until 1995-96.
- 15 years on the Committee – 1989 until 2001-02 and 2009-10 to 2010-11
- 1 years as Chairman – 1992-93
- 12 years as Secretary – 1989 to 1991-92 and 1994-95 to 2001-02
- Australian Coal Industry Reference Samples (ACIRS) – established MOU with ACARP/industry and served on management committee since 2010
- 5 Local Organising Committees, chairman of one.
- 11 Technical subcommittees, chairman of three.
- Editor of Proceedings, First Australian Coal Preparation Conference
- ACPS representative on Organising Committee for the 2001 International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, held in Newcastle
International Coal Preparation Congress:
- National organising committee for 1998 Brisbane Congress (XIII International Coal Preparation Congress)
- Technical subcommittee for 1998 Brisbane Congress
- Australian delegate on IOC for International Coal Preparation Congress since 2001
- Lecturer at Introductory and Advanced Coal Preparation Courses in areas such as coal quality, coal evaluation, process design, fine coal treatment, sampling and quality management.
- Co-editor of the first edition of the Advanced Coal Preparation Monograph series
- Editor of Principles of Coal Preparation and some subsequent revisions of the Advanced Monograph series
Andrew has been associated with companies working in and for the coal preparation sector for all his career and organisations he has worked for include QCC Resources, Carbon Consulting International and BHP Central Research Laboratories.