George served on the NSW Branch Committee, led the effort for 1976 VII International Coal Preparation Congress in Sydney, and is a Life Member. His service is listed below:
- 6 years on the Committee – between 1971-72 and 1976-77
- 1 year as Chairman – 1974-75
- 2 years as Secretary – 1971-72 and 1972-73
International Coal Preparation Congress:
- Chairman of the International Organising Committee for VII ICPC (Sydney) in 1976
- Chairman National organising committee for 1976 VII ICPC
- Australian delegate on IOC for International Coal Preparation Congress 1971-1976
- Active in promoting the Society and frequently gave addresses at Society meetings
- Facilitated co-operation with The AusIMM (Past President 1995) and MICA (Current Chairman).
- Chaired Standards Australia and earlier its Coal & Coke Committee. Promoted Australian Standards internationally as bases for ISO Standards
George has had a diverse career in the coal industry with some of his main associations being, AI&S Port Kembla, Joint Coal Board, Coal & Allied, Consol, and his own consulting business for the last 30 years, during which he part owned and operated three export coal mines.