Lister is a Life Member of the Australian Coal Preparation Society and long term member of the NSW Branch Committee. His service is listed below:
- 16 years on the Committee – 1975-76 until 1990-91
- 2 years as Chairman – 1977-78 and 1978-79
- 5 years as Treasurer – 1975-76 and 1983-84 to 1988-89
- 2 Local Organising Committees.
- 1 Technical subcommittee.
International Coal Preparation Congress:
- National organising committee for 1976 Sydney VII ICPC
- Australian delegate on IOC for International Coal Preparation Congress from 1985 to 1991.
- Lecturer at Advanced Coal Preparation Courses
- Lecturer Joint Coal Board Overseas Students Course
Lister worked for a number of operating and service companies including BHP Newcastle Steelworks, Austen & Butta, Bulk Materials Coal Handling (BMCH) and DBT.