Arthur was the Life Member and a founding Director of the Australian Coal Preparation Society. He was one of the longest serving members of the Queensland Society/Branch. His service to the Society is summarised below:
- 20 years on the Committee – 1970-71 until 1989-90
- 20 years as Secretary – 1970-71 - 1989-90.
- Founding member
- 2 years on the Committee – 1989 and 1989-90.
- 5 Local Organising Committees.
- Contributed to the notes and organisation of the first Coal Preparation course in Queensland in 1976.
- In 1994, compiled a history of the Queensland Society/Branch celebrating its first 25 years.
- In 1998, compiled a history of the first 10 years of the National Committee of the Society.
Arthur was a stalwart of the Society during his 20 years as Secretary of the Queensland Society/Branch.
Arthur passed away on 30 May 2001.